CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 27, 2008

Just Call Me Mommy!

I had reached a point in my life where I thought it wouldn't happen, but now it has. It's official!! I am now a mom to a 10 month old gorgeous little girl!
Today has been a very long and eventful day. I couldn't sleep, probably due to a combination of jet lag and excitement. I finally got up at 3:30 this morning, went into the bathroom and sat on the floor to do some things without disturbing my mom. We had breakfast at the hotel buffet at 6am this morning - it's a really beautiful buffet. Got ready to go the orphanage and waited for my adoption agency rep to pick us up and take us to the orphanage. The orphanage is in a suburb of HCMC, and with traffic it took us over 30 minutes to get there. We were driving and driving and I was actually enjoying seeing some of the area outside of busy downtown Saigon, and suddenly we were there.
Let me just say this has probably been the most surreal day I've ever had. I was very nervous this morning before we went. My thoughts, and questions to my mom - Will she like me? What if she doesn't like me? What if she doesn't like the way I smell? What if she starts crying and I can't get her to stop? What if I don't know what to do? The adoption process was such a long process, that went on and on and at times I wondered if it would ever result in an actual adoption. Suddenly, the actual day was here and we were at the orphanage! I was going to see Lucie for the very first time, hold her, touch her - and be responsible for her from now on.

We went into a conference room at the orphanage. There was a big bust of Uncle Ho, slogans on the wall in Viet Namese, several long tables with lots of chairs. We sat down. The orphanage director, and two assistant directors came in. We all shook hands, and then we all sat down and drank a cup of hot tea together. I gave them gifts (small token gifts of thanks - it is a cultural thing in Asia). Mom and I gave them donations for the orphanage - clothes for the babies. And then a lady walked in carrying Lucie and put her in my arms. Just like that!

I think they must have waked her up from a nap because she was a little bewildered, plus who wouldn't be bewildered having their entire world turned upside down just like that. She held on tight, cried just a little and then settled right down as if we had been together forever. I signed the orphanage Golden Book. We all shaked hands all around and the orphanage directors left. Mom and I changed Lucie into an outfit we brought along for the Giving and Receiving ceremony. We were at the orphanage for maybe 20 minutes - in and out! I told Chi I wanted to visit the baby room, take pictures, and also visit two children who are with my same adoption agency. We were on a tight schedule today so there was no time, but Chi promised me that we will go back tomorrow for a longer visit. Then we got back into the car to head to the Justice Department for the formal adoption. The Justice Department is like our court house and is where people go for marriage license, birth certificates, criminal records, etc. It was an interesting and busy place. We had to wait for the orphanage assistant director to come, as the four parties that have to be present at the formal adoption ceremony are the orphanage director, the adoption agency rep, the adopting parent (me) and the Justice Department official. The Giving and Receiving Ceremony was again all of us sitting at a table, I signed a bunch of documents, we took pictures in front of Uncle Ho, we all shook hands and boom - I'm officially Lucie's mom now. Wowee!
Next we got back into the car, drove across town to the passport office and went in to apply for Lucie's Viet Namese passport. Signed more papers, gave copies of my passport, etc. More shaking of hands. No hot tea this time. Hopefully Lucie's passport will be ready late tomorrow. Voila, Lucie will be ready to travel in Viet Nam with me as soon as she has a passport!
You would not believe what a good baby Lucie was through all of this. She is very inquisitive, constantly checking everything out. She does seem to be very good natured, which we thought she would be based on the pictures we had seen earlier. After so many big events, we came back to the hotel to relax and start really getting to know each other. It was time for her to eat so we gave her some rice cereal. We tried to mash up some banana and put in the cereal for her, but she did not like that at all. We also tried giving her cheerios and she doesn't like that. The orphanage said they have been feeding her only formula and rice cereal. We will start trying to give her more than that, and hopefully she will start taking it. She made the funniest faces when we tried to get her to eat that banana/rice cereal - and then she would spit it out. Too funny!
Ok, things I've learned about my daughter today. She likes to be held and walked. She sucks her thumb, usually the left one. Does that mean she is a leftie? She crosses her fingers - crosses the middle finger over the index finger. She seems to have a very good disposition. She seems to be a very good sleeper. She likes to rock on all fours, but I haven't seen her stand up yet. The orphanage says she stands up in her crib. We tried to get her to stand up with us holding her but she won't put her feet on the ground. She is tiny - she weighs 16 pounds and the size 9 months clothes I brought with me are way too big on her. She could probably wear a size 6 months right now. And she is just the most perfect, wonderful, beautiful, precious baby I've ever seen!
Now I'll get to what I know you've been waiting for. I have a new camera and am still learning to use it. Unfortunately I'm still getting a lot of blurry ones, but hope to get better with lots of
practice.

These are from the conference room in the orphanage where we met the orphanage directors and met Lucie for the first time!













































At the Justice Department - waiting for the adoption ceremony.


















At the Justice Department - the Giving and Receiving Ceremony (official adoption).































































At the passport office with Grandmommie.
















Hanging out back in our hotel room:






















































6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Lisa! Lucie is so beautiful and looks so comfortable with you. Mom looks very much the proud Grandmother. Everything is as it should be! Hurry home, so we can love on Lucie, too!!!

Anonymous said...

SO CUTE CANT WAIT TO SEE HER IN PERSON

LOVE YOUR FAVORITE COUSIN MORGAN

Anonymous said...

An emotional 'wham-o' hit me when I saw the pictures of Mom and Grandmother united with little Lucie! At last! What a beautiful family and what a great day! Congratulations!

Joyce and Jeff said...

Lisa!!! I am so very very happy for you. You and Lucie look like peas and carrots. Congrats from the very bottom of my heart!!

Jill said...

Oh Lisa she is beautiful! You all look so happy. I am so glad things are going well for you.

Congratulations MOM!

Anonymous said...

Lisa P! Lucie is so cute! I can't wait to come home for Thanksgiving so I can play with her and get to know her. I love you and congrats!!

~katie p.